Issue Number: IRS Tax Tips 2017-74
IRS has Resources for Veterans, Current Members of the Military
As the nation prepares to celebrate Veterans Day, the IRS reminds them that they may be eligible for certain tax benefits. There are also tax benefits that can affect current members of the military.
The IRS has resources for both these groups. The following tools will help military members and veterans navigate tax issues:
Resources for veterans
- Frequently asked questions about veteran employment and retirement plan benefits. These include information about the re-employment of veterans and the restoration of retirement plan benefits.
- The Resources for Disabled Veterans page features links to resources geared to this audience: ◦Where to get free help in preparing income tax returns.
- Access to IRS forms and publications in formats accessible for people with disabilities.
Resources for current members of the military
- The Tax Information for Members of the Military page on IRS.gov includes resources geared to several groups: ◦Current and former military personnel.
- Those serving in a combat zone.
- Disabled veterans.
- Publication 3, Armed Forces Tax Guide covers special situations of active members of the Armed Forces, including: ◦Travel expenses of Armed Forces Reservists.
- IRA contribution rules for members of the military serving in combat zones.
- Rules for members of the Armed Forces deducting moving expenses.
- The Tax Exclusion for Combat Service page highlights information for members of the military who serve in a combat zone.
- The Notifying the IRS by E-mail about Combat Zone Service page includes information about the steps that someone serving in a combat zone follows to notify the IRS about their service.
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: IRS has Resources for Veterans, Current Members of the Military. https://go.usa.gov/xnj3F
Source: IRS Tax Tips 2017-74: IRS has Resources for Veterans, Current Members of the Military, Internal Revenue Service (IRS) sent this bulletin at 11/09/2017 09:00 AM EST